The three fields cover over 100 acres and are home to variety of community and sporting activities. A vibrant junior football community hosts large leagues and 100’s of games each week. The young people who use the site come from very diverse backgrounds and thrive from being involved in football and multi sports.
In the summer months the fields are also used to host sports events and competitions and international football tournaments where Merseyside youngsters can compete against teams from all over the world.
What are the project aims?
- To provide community and sports facilities for children and young people in Liverpool
- To increase numbers of Children & Young people involved in sports and healthy activities
- To improve community cohesion and work with local groups to provide a wide range of facilities and activities
- To continually improve, maintain and develop the sites to ensure the long term future of the fields are sustainable.
Who is it for?
An average of 2600 children and young people play sports across the three sites every week. Since April 2013 we have had 73, 158 visitors to the playing fields participating in grass roots sports.
Four large junior leagues are based from MYA fields they are:
- Walton & Kirkdale JFL
- Merseyside & Halewood JFL
- South Liverpool League
- Liverpool County FA Girls League
Several local adult football teams and league play home games on MYA pitches every season.
What is the impact?
Provision of community and sporting facilities enable MYA to host activities which:
- Improve long term health including mental and emotional wellbeing
- Embed a culture of physical activity into children and young people
- Increase team building and social development opportunities
- Support community cohesion initiatives
- Provide personal, social and physical benefits for children in Liverpool.
Where and when does it take place?
- Jeffrey Humble Playing Fields, Long Lane, Norris Green, Liverpool, L9 7AA
- Heron Eccles Playing Fields, Abbots Hey Avenue, Mosley Hill, Liverpool L18 7JT
- Simpson Playing Fields Hillfoot Road, Woolton, L25 0NB
During the football season the pitches are open all week with most games on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays.
During the summer months the fields are open for events, football tournaments and summer leagues. These events take place on various dates.
We also have community facilities which are available for community usage for regular or one off events and activities.
How do I get there?
The fields are easily accessible by bus and train routes. All sites also have limited car parking for visitors.
What do people say about us?
“We are now going into our 3rd year of hosting the Liverpool Knowsley International Football Festival, a Summer youth football festival for over 80 teams, at Heron Eccles pitches and are delighted with the quality of the pitches and the top quality staff and co-operation we have with MYA. Their planning, expertise and follow through has helped keep this event running well and provides international playing opportunities for the local kids of Merseyside.” Eric McAleer, Soccer Events LTD. (www.soccerevents.co.uk)
Having worked closely with the MYA over the past 12 months I have been impressed with their commitment to providing quality facilities and opportunities for community sport and recreation. The organisation has an strong appreciation of the positive impact that sport can have on the lives of young people and all other sectors of society. Gary White, Fair Play
Who funds the project?
Liverpool City Council